Sunday, June 1, 2008

The Name

COLOR CRISIS

So with every great name there is a great story right?

Well I can't say this story is great, but it is a story nonetheless. 

It all started at the Kanye West show (An amazing show by the way). The main t-shirt that everyone was getting for the Glow In The Dark Tour came in a bright blue or a bright red. I was stuck. They both looked so clean. I could see myself rocking either one. I have so many blue shirts and my wardrobe is lacking in any red except a couple hoodies. However, I of course ended up getting the blue one. Justin said it was “so you” and I knew it too. But I think the hesitation goes back to my former love affair with the color Red.

As a kid Red was my favorite color by far. Why? I really don’t know. I hate blood and cringe at the sight of it but for some reason red was my favorite. I think it might have been because red was so eye catching. But as the years progressed, blue started to grow on me. In particular, the eye catching effect of light blue and any bright variation of blue in general. Even navy blue is enticing. I want to say the feminine association of the color red drew me away from it, but I really don’t know.

Anyway, it was this clash of colors that prompted the name. As I thought thinking of a new identity to claim, I asked a few others if they had any ideas. What better way to identify yourself than by those closest to you right? Well, Justin brought back this topic of red vs blue. He first suggested some paradoxical names like “Redder Blue” or “Bluer Red.” They sounded okay but a little too cliché. Then he suggested “color crisis.”

It sounded so SIMPLE right? But for some reason, I couldn’t let go of it. I spent the next day with the name on my mind seeing if it would stick. And the more I thought about the name the more it grew on me.

The deal break was this realization: COLOR is composed of 5 letters. There are 3 primary colors and 3 secondary colors. However, if you place blue to represent one end of the word (C) and red one the other end (R), you don’t necessarily need one secondary color. So having each color represent an individual letter you have a placement of primary, secondary, primary, secondary, and primary. The beauty of this is that the secondary colors represented in the (O)’s are produced by their adjacent primary colors. So the order would be C (blue), O (green), L (yellow), O (orange), R (red).

Even if you spell color the English way “colour” which makes it 6 letters you could simply shift all the letters over and make (R) purple. This way all the 3 secondary colors are represented.

What about CRISIS? Well CRISIS can be used in many different ways. Maybe make it purple since that seems to be the only color missing when spelling COLOR. Or maybe make it neutral to the situation and emphasize the colors in COLOR by making CRISIS either a white, black, or maybe gray. CRISIS could even have its own color scheme by creating a symmetrical balance with COLOR. The (C) of CRISIS could be purple and the rest of the colors in COLOR could be repeated in the opposite order so that the red in the (R) of COLOR would also be the (R) of CRISIS and the orange in the (O) of COLOR would also be the (I) in CRISIS, and etc until the blue would finally complete the (S).

This is why I can’t let go of the name.

I think, therefore I am.


No comments: