Thursday, January 15, 2009

Out of Commission


During my trip to Oregon, I saw this old, broken ship sitting at harbor that immediately caught my attention. Staring at the vessel reminded me of myself and also made me think about life in general too. The boat sits in harbor now and is broken, rusted, and almost forgotten. In the beginning, it served as a whaling boat for years. However, it eventually became a tug boat for the remainder of its years on the seas, until it finally came to that harbor to rest. The boat is like a reflection on life: In life, you are made for a certain purpose or intention, but sometimes that changes. Eventually, in the end, you have to come into harbor, like this boat, to finally rest until you are eventually weathered and forgotten. You might have occasional visitors, but as the years progress they will grow fewer. Although more and more visitors will be strangers who might not understand or know your story and even though less and less visitors may show up, you may perhaps spark inspiration in those few that do stop to look.

Even though you might be out of commission much like this boat, that does not mean you have to be forever chained to that harbor. No matter how broken, how rusted, or how impossible it may seem, there is a possibility to be rebuilt. But even if you do continue to remain there fighting the powers of mother nature and the hands of father time, I think the spark of inspiration or growth of ambition you might foster in, even if it is just one other person, is enough to rest in peace. I hope that when my ship does finally come in for good, I at least inspired one mind, touched one heart, and reached out to one soul. Then I will know this life, regardless of all the hardships and pains I might have endured, was worth living.

No comments: