Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Beginning and The End

So I have been lagging on my posts (like I usually do) but I promise I will try and catch up on these past couple weeks in the next couple days. Today though, I will focus this entry on Camp Alpha Omega.

Ever since the 6th grade, I always looked forward to going to camp and never missed it since the first time I went. Throughout the years the reasons for going each year varied anywhere from friends to God or maybe a little bit of both. However, the difference this year was that I was responsible in making or breaking this cherished part of summer that I held so dear all these years. It was up to me and these other counselors to make this camp something these kids could take back and remember days, weeks, and maybe even years from now.

During the weeks leading up to camp, all of us worked together to fill these shoes that so many other counselors had filled in the past. Even as the last few hours dawned and the day of camp arrived, I was nervous. I honestly felt that we were not ready. But as the camp progressed, everything came together. Even when things seemed like they were falling apart, it all somehow came together and worked perfectly (in particular: Eucharistic Adoration).

Being a first time counselor was pretty nerve racking as well. I was so afraid that I could not be the counselor these kids needed me to be. I mean, I was scared that these kids might hate me, might think I was lame, might want to switch into a different group, and might ask me things I just did not know. I remember looking up to all my counselors and how well they were to me. I felt so unprepared. To add to that insecurity was also the fact that I was counseling for both camps and that I would be paired with two new counselors as well. But all these fears and insecurities were proven wrong. Both my co-counselors handled our kids so well, and gave me both the strength and confidence to do the same. I could not have asked for a better first experience as a counselor.

But the most rewarding thing of all was the kids. As corny, cheesy, cliche, or whatever as that sounds, I am being honest with you. Just seeing theses kids all together laughing, playing, working together, hugging, crying and praying was such a sight to see. I mean where else can so many different kids from so many different places and walks of life come together to just have fun and love God? Being with these kids for about a week just made me so grateful of this wonderful community that I was able to share and be a part of for so many years. This realization hit me so hard during the last mass we had that, as I took that Eucharist in my hand and placed it in my mouth, tears began to form in my eyes. And as I knelt to pray and heard all the kids in praise, the tears just poured out.

To sum it all up: I just want to say that Camp Alpha Omega was amazing. The energy, the kids, and the counselors all just blew me away. I mean, even now, looking back at all these photos and seeing all these people all in this one place sharing in this experience is truly beautiful. I am so blessed to be a part of this community, and I can't imagine what I would do without it.

I want to thank anyone and everyone that made this camp possible. May we continue to build the NCKCYM community even stronger.

See you guys throughout the year and at next year's camp!

No comments: