Monday, February 9, 2009

Insignificant Speck

She sits calmly on the ledge
sticks of death in between her fingertips
The slow burning ashes crumble to the ground
so frail, so fragile
Insignificant specks upon the vast sea of gray

The stench of carcinogens oddly undermined
Is she thinking? Waiting?
Perhaps waiting for a return?
A son, A daughter, A distant lover?

Legs crossed, Arms steady
She is strong.
Gaze transfixed to the distance
never making eye contact with my own
Her eyes have seen her fair share of tears and years

Is she in her escape?
A place beyond the death trap of reality?
Or embracing and trapping the reality of death?

Does she want to be in the distance too?
Just fade away.
Or does she simply look to the distance
For answers for today?

I want to ask her
But I have no words to say
I want to ask her
But she has no words to say
as I pass by her everyday

She sits calmly on the ledge
sticks of death in between her fingertips
An insignificant speck in the vast sea of gray.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Whadap, nice piece! I think you can take out the question marks to enhance your piece, no need for those things. Also, I feel like you would really love playing with line breaks, try it out, it really changes the meaning.
'she is strong'
vs.
'she is
strong'
I think you would have fun with that, keep up the good work